Saturday, February 17, 2007

The Wonders of Rome



Highlight of the Day: Seeing the Pope

Today, we arrived in Rome after a series of journeys from Prep to Newark Airport (nearly 4 hours on I-95), Newark Airport to Frankfurt Airport (6 hours, 53 minutes), and finally from Frankfurt to Rome (1 hour, 37 minutes). I find it ironic that it took longer to drive from Prep to the airport than it did to get from Frankfurt, Germany to Rome, Italy.

We are situated in a beautiful hotel with the dome of St. Peter's Cathedral in perfect view. We are on one of the streets leading up to the Vatican. We really are in the heart of the city of Rome.

The highlight of the day for me was yet to come. We were standing under the collonades of St. Peter's square, designed by Bernini. We noticed that there was significant police presence and a large crowd of bystanders accumulating. Going over there, I expected perhaps to see a cardinal or something of the sort. To my amazement, a Vatican limousine drives by, the windows role down, and inside is the Pope himself!

St. Peter's Square was truly beautiful at night. I have been to Italy before, but I have never experienced St. Peter's after sunset. The lit-up fountains, basilica, and columns truly gave the square a magical feel. I agree with our tour guide Lindsay in the belief that this is one of the most beautiful squares in the world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are having a fantastic time. We can't wait to hear more. I understand that you've had an extensive tour of the Vatican and have now moved on to Capri, Pompeii, and Sorrento. Please let us all know how it is all going! We are anxiously awaiting your next post.

Love, Pat Fales

Anonymous said...

Havent heard from you since day one. Richard I thought you were the enforcer! Even if you say Wish you were here!

Celeste Davis (Tom's mom)